A scholar at Al-Aqsa Mosque, Sheikh Ikrima Sabri, warned on Thursday that al-Aqsa Mosque is in real danger days after Israeli authorities pushed for compulsory school trips to al-Aqsa to learn about so-called “Jewish heritage”.
Last week, Israel’s Knesset had issued a recommendation to the education ministry to include teachings about the so-called Jewish history during field trips to the holy Islamic site in Occupied Jerusalem’s Old City in school curricula.
Sheikh Sabri said that the Israeli move came as part of the Israeli Judaization policy against the Islamic landmarks in Occupied Jerusalem.
Israel is working to turn Jerusalem into a pure Jewish city, he added.
“We used to say that Al-Aqsa Mosque is in danger, but today it faces existential dangers.”
He further considered the Israeli decision to include student field trips to al-Aqsa as “a blatant interference in the site’s affairs, and an insult on its sanctity and its courtyards.” Al-Aqsa is for Muslims only, he stressed.
Sheikh Sabri declared total rejection of the decision, holding Israeli authorities the responsibility for its implications.
He said such decision will only give a green light to the Jewish settlers’ break-ins into al-Aqsa and restrict Palestinians’ presence and therefore reinforce the Israeli “sovereignty” over the Mosque.
Sheikh Sabri concluded by calling for intensifying Palestinian presence in al-Aqsa Compound.